Sunday, June 10, 2007

Couch to 5K anyone?

I'm sure some of you have heard of this "Couch to 5K" running program before. Well, I downloaded the podcasts for it during the winter and told myself that I wanted to start it.

Today was the day! I woke up and had the urge to start. I grabbed some shorts, a tank top, put my shoes and socks on, put my hair up and grabbed my iPod and I was ready to go. I really didn't want to go alone so I asked Cameron to come along with me. He rode his bike while I walked my first 5 minutes and by that time we were at the park where he played and I did the program around the park. I went around 3 times and then I was done.

The first week you start with a brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. The plan is to do this 3 times the first week and then it changes a little the next weeks until week 9 when you are joggin 3 miles continuously.

I will be amazed if I can do it, but there are so many people that have started this way so I think I can too. One minute of running right now is tough! I looked forward to the 90 second walks! I didn't stop at all though, I told myself that I could do it and I did.

I decided that I needed to throw a little exercise into my weight loss plan and today was the day. I have been doing Weight Watchers now for 18 weeks and have lost 17 pounds. I should have lost more by now, but I have had my ups and downs. Mostly downs though so all is good! Hopefully I will be down even more this week after starting the running program. I might even have to buy myself some good running shoes as a reward! The shoes I wore today are actually good running shoes, but they are my work shoes so I should get some just for running!

Well, I think I am cooled down enough now to take a shower and start my day. I have lots of studying to do. I have a Unit test tomorrow in Microbiology and there are a few things I need to memorize.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I'll have to look into that program it sounds like it could work. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the program! Running so doesn't even sound fun to me...at all!!! I still need to kick it in gear and do something more regularly though!