Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Cans and two wheels

We decided to try our hands at canning this weekend. After I picked the peaches and nectarines we knew that there was no way we would eat them all before they went bad. Michael mentioned canning them and so yesterday morning I ran out to buy stuff to do it. How fun! We had to start from scratch buying the water bath canner and everything. It was really easy and fun. Here are the fruits of our labor. The reddish looking ones are the nectarines. It's too bad we didn't have enough to do even more fruit. Perhaps next year we will get to the fruit before the birds.Last night after dinner we stopped at the store and bought stuff to jar some salsa. I would have used the peppers from our garden, but Michael did some pickling with them about 2 weeks ago. Here are my 5 little jars. I am afraid this is going to be a runnier salsa than we like since the tomatoes wouldn't chop properly and I had to use the little mini chopper which basically minced them up pretty good. I think I might stop and buy more today to try to make chunkier salsa.We took Cameron up to his school yesterday to practice riding his bike without training wheels. He finally got it! I didn't have my camera with me, but next time I will and I will share them. He still needs LOTS of practice and it is hard to do it at our house since we are on a main street (sort of) and cars think they can speed past. Not fun when there are lots of kids around that like to play in the streets.

9 comments:

Nicole *Ü* said...

Yum!!! I love canning! And peaches are SOOOO easy to do too. That's basically all I've attemped, other than apple pie filling and my raspberry-peach jam (RIP jam if you ask Heather! LOL). I need to get on that ASAP!!

Shannon said...

Oh, I have been wanting to try this! I should have some extra tomatos pretty soon. A lot of ours are getting pretty ripe, we've made several batches of salsa already. Nothing beats fresh salsa or fresh tomatos in my opinion!

Shannon said...

Oh I forgot to say Congratulations to Cam! He will be riding all around in no time! He can come over here and practice not as many cars on our street.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Cameron on the bikeriding!! As for your salsa, I think it looks DELICIOUS!!! Have fun eatin' it!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Cam! That's awesome!

okay - those peaches look yummy! great job at trying something new...

Do you have a good salsa recipe?! Is it spicy? LMK!

Anonymous said...

Your canning looks yummy!

YAY Cameron!

Anonymous said...

WOW...look at you go! Wish I would have seen your WANT ANY PEACHES post before you canned them. LOL! YUMMMMMMM!

Anonymous said...

Good job on the canning! I love canning! It gets so much easier as you keep doing it, so keep up the good work!

Congrats to Cameron on his bike riding!

Kim said...

More power to you! YUM!!
I tried canning, once. It was peaches. I don't know what I did wrong, and I have never attempted it again since my disaster many years ago.
Put it this way, eveything looked and tasted great until the jars were all lined up on my counter cooling waiting to have their lids put on them. Then, BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! One by one, they started exploding. Peach jam and glass went everywhere...the ceiling, floor, cabinets, me, everywhere! I found stuck on peach jam for a long time after that. I haven't had the nerve to try it again. So, more power to you. I'm so glad you were successful. They look so pretty and probably taste just as yummy!