Sunday, August 27, 2006

Breads

On Friday I decided I wanted to try my hand at bread making. I wanted to make some wheat bread so I set out to do it around 10:00. I made two YUMMY loaves! I was thinking I could make Friday's bread making days. It sure made the house smell good.

Here is the YUMMY recipe!
Whole Wheat Bread
2 pkgs active dry yeast
1/4 c. warm water
2 c. warm water
1/4 c. honey
2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. oil
5 1/2 - 6 c. whole wheat flour, divided
1 Tbsp. butter, melted

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 c. warm water. In another bowl, combine 2 c. warm water, honey, salt and oil. Stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour; mixing well. Stir in yeast mixture. Add more flour 1/2 c. at a time, to make dough fairly stiff. Sprinkle a little flour on a board; knead dough 10 minutes. Shape dough into a ball, put into a greased bowl and grease top of dough. Let rise 45 minutes or until double in bulk. Punch down, divide in half and knead a little; let rest 10 minutes. Shape dough into 2 loaves and place in two 8x4 greased loaf pans. Split top; drizzle with melted butter. Let rise until double in bulk, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes.

For tonights dinner I was planning on making roast chicken, green beans (from neighbors garden) and homemade rolls. Well, we ended up having roast turkey breast (much yummier), green beans, mashed potatoes and homemade rolls. These rolls were DELISH! They will be a keeper at our house!

Feather Rolls
1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 c. warm water
4 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 Tbsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
3/4 c. warm milk
2 c. all-purpose flour (or more)

Dissolve yeast in water; let stand 5 minutes. Blend together butter, sugar, salt, egg and milk; add to yeast mixture. Beat until smooth; add flour and beat until well blended. (I added more flour as it was way to sticky) Cover and set in a warm place for one hour or until double in bulk. Punch down dough and divide into 12 portions; roll each into a ball. Place in greased muffin tins, cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Today I spent some time trying to understand story problems...why do they scare me so? I have been afraid of them for as long as I remember. I picked up a book at the library called Word Problems Demystified. I'm trying to work my way through it and taking the little quizzes along the way. There are TONS of story problems in my math book and gosh darn it, I want to master them!

Well, I'm heading downstairs to watch RV with Michael. Have a great week everyone!

1 comment:

Nicole *Ü* said...

Ooohhh Yummy recipes!!! TFS!! My grandpa used to make yummy wheat bread. I wonder if my grandma knows how he did it. I'll have to ask!