Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Yesterday was not a happy day!


I decided to post here for things so I don't have to keep typing to let people know how Michael is or have to keep calling people to update them.

Yesterday morning started out as any morning. I left the house at 7 to get to work by 7:30. I was very early as we didn't have patients until 9:00, but I had forgotten this fact. Around 8:15 I got a phone call and I couldn't understand what the person was saying. Then I realized it was Michael, but I still couldn't understand him. I asked him to say what he said again and then all I heard was "Michael. Bad Accident." I asked him if there was someone around that I could speak to and he handed the phone to someone. That person told me that he was in a bad car accident and tried to tell me where he was located. I was drawing a blank on where the position was (it was very close to home). After he told me he must have thought that he hung up the phone. Well, he didn't and the phone called me back. I was unable to hang up the phone since his phone was off the hook. Needless to say I was able to hear everything that was happening. I had to listen to Michaels screams of pain. I heard him tell someone that his left leg was all twisted and under his right leg. Then I heard him say that he was bleeding very badly on his leg and he was trying to hold pressure to get it to stop.

I kept yelling into the phone trying to see if they could hear something, but there was too much going on to hear me. In the mean time I am freaking out trying to find my boss' number to tell him I was at the office and what was going on. After I did that I called my dad to find numbers for Michael's parents because they aren't stored in my head or my phone. I was finally able to get ahold of his mother and eventually his dad called me back. I listened to the phone and what was happening for about 45 minutes until they hung up the phone. I was listening to see if I could hear where they might be taking him. After awhile it sounded like they were in a helicopter...and indeed they were. He and the other driver were lifeflighted to some downtown hospitals. They were taken to different ones and neither hospital knew who they were receiving so it was another long haul to find out where my husband was going.

After I found out for sure where he was at, one of my co-workers drove me to the hospital and stayed with me while I tried to find out what was going on. The social worker told me that both of his legs were pretty damaged and that he was going in for a cat scan and I could see him in about 45 minutes. I was pretty worried about his right leg since he hurt that pretty badly almost 4 years ago. However, she was wrong and it turned out to be his left leg only. He ended up breaking the left hip, left femur and right arm (the ulna).

Let me say that the picture above looks much worse than it probably was...they had to cut the roof off the car to get him out. The driver of the other car also broke his femur. It was the other guy's fault, but he hit a patch of black ice and over-corrected causing him to hit Michael pretty much head on. The police officer said that there were no skid marks so Michael had no time to respond to what was happening.

He went in for surgery around 3:20 and was out around 6:15. The doctor came and showed me his xrays. They are giving his hip 50% chance of surviving. They need the blood supply to be restored. It will be about 3-4 months before we know what is going on with it. If it does in fact die he will need a hip replacement.

They didn't fix his arm yet. The reason was there were way too many trauma cases brought in from terrible accidents that they fixed what was critical on him and are planning on fixing his arm tomorrow.

Michael's mom flew in last night and got to the hospital just as the doctor was explaining the surgery to me. Michael's co-worker Gary was with me most of the day and he is dealing with the insurance and everything for me. Fortunately this is most likely going to be work related and taken care of by Worker's Comp and the other guys insurance.

Today we went up and saw him and he looked a lot better and was more alert. The pain meds he is on isn't helping too much. He really wants his arm fixed soon as that is what is causing him the most pain right now.

Cameron has been staying with a wonderful friend of mine, Shannon. He really wants to see Michael, but I am not ready for that just yet. I told him that I would try to take him up on Friday. He told me that he just wants to give him a hug and a kiss to make him feel better. If that doesn't make you cry I don't know what will.

On a side note, Michael lost his glasses in the accident so I ran to the eye doctor today to order the same pair that he had lost. They are going to try to have it ready by Friday. This would be nice since by Friday he may be sitting up enough to want to watch tv or something. I wasn't sure how to take care of paying for it since I don't have workers comp case number yet, but his co-worker told me to use Michael's company credit card and get them that way.

His company has been awesome. The presidents son called Gary and told him that they are going to do everything that they can for me and for Michael. Everyone has been a Godsend!

I want to thank all of you for your support and prayers through this rough time!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that this happened Stacy. We have been praying for him today and even little Kaden blessed "Stacy's husband" in his prayers tonight. Please let me know if there is ANYTHING at all that I can do for you!!!!

Calene said...

I hope that everything will turn out for the best. I've been thinking of you all day and praying for Michael's quick recovery. Tell him his XBox is missing him....that ought to help him along!

Nicole White said...

Stacy, I'm so sorry! It's a good thing to have a wonderful friend like Shannon to help out :) I'll be thinking of you and your family (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Stacy...(((((BIG HUGS)))))) Your family is in our thoughts

Nancy

Shannon said...

I prayed for Michael yesterday at dinner and Cameron said "Thank you for praying for my daddy". I cried right there. I'm so glad you had people with you all day, I was worried about that. And I'm glad to help you out! Big Hugs! I'm here for whatever you guys need.

Anonymous said...

We love you all, Stace - Michael is in our prayers - and I'm very thankful that you have friends close by to help - you are all in our thoughts & prayers. Much love, Tam & fam

Anonymous said...

Stacey,

Love, light, healing energy and never ceasing prayers from us to you, M. and C. always.

Mama Lockman

Anonymous said...

((hugs)) I can't imagine how horrible this must be for you guys. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Keep us informed.

Kathy M

Anonymous said...

OMGosh, Stacey!!! I'm so glad to hear that your husband is "okay," if you can call it that. Looking at the picture of the car and hearing how the accident happened, you're truly blessed to still have him in your life!!

That must have been so scary for you to get that phone call from him, and then to have to listen to him screaming, etc. I can't even imagine how difficult that had to be for you!

Your husband sounds like he's in terrible pain, and I can't believe that they are making him suffer even longer by not fixing his arm, poor guy! Hopefully it will get treated today so it can begin to heal and he can get more peaceful rest. Getting lots of rest is going to be so important for his healing because it's during the deep stages of sleep that our bodies go through the healing process.

I'm so happy to know that you've had such wonderful support because it's times like these that you need it the most. His work people sound like very caring and warm individuals, and I'm sure that's nice to know you can rely on them. Shannon is a sweetie, and I'm sure that's a load off your mind not having to worry about Cameron because you know he's in a safe place.

Stacey, please know that your husband is in my prayers for a speedy recovery with as little pain as possible. You and Cameron are also in my prayers as I know this can not be easy for either of you...on different levels, of course. I hope that your husband will be able to come home for Christmas. If not, then you can do what my family did for me when I was in the hospital a year or two ago on Thanksgiving. They brought Thanksgiving to me!!! The most important part is that you're together, anyway.

Anyway, lots of love and healing thoughts coming your way. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers, especially your husband.

Hugs,
Michele

Lynda J P said...

stacy, so sorry to hear the news.. i can't imagine how u felt when u heard your husband on the telephone. i hope his surgery goes well and he has a speed recovery. glad to hear his mom is here to help....even with the little things
take care and keep us posted

lynda (ckmb member)

Anonymous said...

Wow Stacy...you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Glad Michael is ok.
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. I had no idea. My thoughts are with you and your family.