Monday, December 19, 2005

Monday Morning

We went to visit Michael yesterday and he looked good! He is off his PCA (pain machine) and all IV's. His catheter is out too! He has been having physical therapy since Saturday and is progressing quite nicely. The first time they worked with him they had him walk to the door of his room with the walker. The therapist said it took at least 20 minutes just to get there. We were with him yesterday when she was working with him and he was able to walk out past the door and back in about 10 minutes. He even did it without the extra pain medicine.

I have a few questions on the board of his room for his case manager. I'm trying to request a hospital bed, toilet lift, transportation to therapy and doctor visits and a seat for the tub. I hope most of those are available to use through the insurance. I don't know why they wouldn't be, but you never know.

They had talked about discharging him today, but the nurse last night said that she really didn't think he was ready. He sort of agreed. He was hoping to have progressed further by today, but these things take time. She said that they therapist has to check off a bunch of things before they can discharge him. He has to be able to climb some stairs and get over the edge of a tub. I definitely think having a seat in the shower will be the easiest since he can sit on that then move his bad leg in.

Michael's mom is leaving today and I will be at work. Adam and Jenn will be picking her up from the hospital and taking her to the airport for me. It's been great to see them again! Cameron is loving that they are here. They took him to see King Kong yesterday and out to shop and play. He had a great time, but he was still pretty wired when we got back from the hospital.

Wel, I need to go dry my hair and get ready for work. I also need to look outside and see if I need to shovel the driveway since it was snowing when we went to bed last night.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

So glad your brother made it there ok and that Michael is doing well!
Hugs, Shannon

Anonymous said...

Stacy...I am so glad that Michael is doing better today. I hope that he continues to progress and is able to come home and spend Christmas at home. I'm also hoping that all of the items you need will be included in the insurance. I am sure they will be....especially since they really will be necessities for a while. Seriously DO call me if you need anything. What are you guys doing for Christmas? Do you need help with anything? Any preparations? Please let me know...I'm willing to help wherever I can!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear Michael is on his way to recovery. Hopefully he'll be released soon and be able to be home for what I imagine will be a VERY thankful Christmas.

On a side note...yes, get those Medical supplies from the hospital if you can. If you are able to, it will go on his hospital bill of which you will have paid your deductable. I needed some medical equipment for my son and the nurse and doctor told me to get if BEFORE I left the hospital. I suppose it depends upon your insurance, but see if you can get everything before Michael is discharged.

Good luck and God Bless all of you.