Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day!

We just got back from a fun-filled, long race weekend at the Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte, NC for the NASCAR races. I have never really been a fan of the races, but after this weekend I might be a changed person. I have to admit that going to the races and watching all the excitement happen first hand was pretty cool. Michael's company is a big sponsor for NASCAR. We went to the CARQUEST 300 on Saturday and the Coca-Cola 600 yesterday. We were at the track for approx. 24 hours over the course of the two days we were there. I think it was a little overkill but it was fun. We toured the Hendricks Motorsports complex where they make the cars, engines, etc. for Casey Mears, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Jimmy Johnson and Jeff Gordon. Casey Mears is the driver for the CARQUEST/Kellogg's car. I even got my picture with him...Ok, so it was a cardboard cut-out. I could have gotten my picture with him the night he came to the hotel to speak to the CARQUEST folk, but we didn't wait in line. We decided to head up to our room to sleep instead.

We took tours of the pit and also the garage area. Unfortunately we didn't take the camera with us the day of the garage tour because I didn't want to carry it around. We didn't actually know we were doing that tour or I would have brought it. This is what we could have gotten close to had we brought the camera. We were up close and personal with the crew of the cars, NASCAR officials and the cars. We watched the races from a suite. I don't think it would have been the same if we had actually been in the grandstands watching it. We didn't hear the loudness of the cars like we would have or felt the rumbling. I can't complain though since they did provide us with food and drink. During the race we listened with scanners to the crews and drivers talking to each other. I would click over to any of the cars that would make pit stops or that crashed to hear what they would say. I think the race would have been much more boring without the use of the scanners. At the end of the big race there were two people that could have won and the person that was ahead told his crew he had a flat front tire on the last 3 laps. So the second place guy, Kasey Kahne, won. It was pretty exciting.

Tomorrow I am in for another fun-filled morning. I am having my knee surgery. I am hoping all goes well and I won't be in too much pain afterwards. I could use your prayers and thoughts. I have to be at the surgery center at 6:45 AM! UGH!! Right now I am off to pick up the house since I will be laid up for 3 days in bed. That is going to be SOOOOO much fun!

4 comments:

Celeste said...

Glad you had fun! My sister was at that race too! She got to go 'backstage' or whatever they call it in the race world and got autographs. She had a blast and my hubby is SO JEALOUS!!

Celeste said...

P.S. Good luck tomorrow! You will for sure be in my thoughts!

Yvonne said...

Never was much into any type of car racing but a couple of years ago we went to the stock car races. That was NOISY but fun! On a trip to Indy awhile back we got the opportunity to ride the track there and visit the museum. That was fun, too!

Hope your surgery goes smoothly and you have a quick recovery! Prayers and good thoughts going your way.

Nicole *Ü* said...

Oh my heck!!!! You lucky dogs!! Well, OK, so I've been to the races in Vegas. LOL But to go to a suite (the grandstands ARE loud) would be so nice!! Glad you guys had fun!!! We're Junior fans at our house, but we also cheer for Kasey Kahne, Jimmie Johnson, and a few others. Ted says basically anybody who doesn't drive Toyota. LOL