Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Well, a New Year and a New Break

Michael had his first follow up at the orthopedics office today. We found out why his right ankle has been bothering him so much when he does his physical therapy and walks to the bathroom. It is broken! They didn't catch it when he had the accident because they didn't actually take an ankle x-ray. They did take one of the foot, but that didn't show anything. The doctor said ideally surgery would be the best thing to do, but gave him a walking boot to see if that helps somewhat. They will take another x-ray in 4 weeks when we go back to see if it is helping. Not too good of news today!

They took out the staples and stitches today. He was afraid that was going to hurt pretty badly, but it wasn't too terrible. He also found out that the doctors don't have any plans to remove any of the rods and screws that is holding him together right now. The doctor said if he was 20 they would talk about removing them, but at his age they would rather leave them in. I guess he would have a greater chance of things breaking again if they were to take everything out.

Well, that was our day in a nutshell! Tomorrow Michael is on his own at home for the first time. Gary, his co-worker, bought a small fridge for us to use in the family room. I've filled it with water, juice and soda so he can help himself. I will also make him a lunch that he can just pull out of there too. I hope he doesn't have to be home by himself too much in the next coming weeks. I feel bad for him! His father is supposed to be coming out sometime in the near future so that will be nice.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Sorry about the news on the ankle, but at least they have figured it out so that he can get rid of that pain too.
Let me know if you guys need anything, we are here for you! If Michael needs some company or a helping hand let him know he can call us at anytime!
Hugs, Shannon

Anonymous said...

OH my crud....so sorry about the ankle. What a few weeks you guys have had. HOpe that everything else is healing okay and that he will be okay tomorrow on his own. I would gladly glady offer my assistance, but my car is unfortunately not working...AGAIN! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. But if he needs me to call anyone for him, have him give me a call. LOL! Thoughts are with you both!

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the ankle but it does sound like he is doing much better.
I think of you often but unfortunately I have had time to check your blog since before Christmas.
Hugs to you!!!!